Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Mini-Review: Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger

Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
Series: Finishing School #2
Published by Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 310
Genre: Steampunk (YA)
Rating: Good
Add on Goodreads

It's one thing to faint gracefully. It's quite another to faint gracefully with a vial of poison hidden in your skirts. Welcome back to finishing school. (from back cover)

Sophronia is back, along with her eclectic group of friends, in this second outing. First, let me say, I know about 'sophomore slump'. I seen in it shows and read it in books. I am pleased to say that this is not that. If anything, I would have to say I liked C&C a bit more that E&E. (Come on, I can't be the only one using these abbreviations.)

I still have some of the same issues as I did with the first in the series (lacking in plot, stereotyped characters) - but they were definitely fewer an further between. The story did improve, but not as much as I had hoped, and the characters were settling into their roles quite nicely. Surprising - at least to me - was how this novel tied into the previous in the series. And that was something that gave this story much more sturdy footing from which to tell its story. While this outing could have built on the series, it really didn't. Not saying it needed to, as I am genuinely enjoying this series, but, in terms of comparing this one to E&E... It neither made the series climb (as I had hoped) or fall. So, ultimately, I have to say that this is a solid edition to the series and I liked it.

Challenges this was read as part of: Goodreads challenge & Bingo Challenge & Series Challenge.