Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Top Ten Fantasy Books I Can't Believe I Haven't Read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Fantasy Books I Can't Believe I Haven't Read

Me, I'm a fantasy reader. I have been ever since I was first introduced to the genre. I will dabble in other books, but when it comes down to what I read the most of, as well as my comfort go-to, it's fantasy.

The Kingkiller Chronicle #1
Patrick Rothfuss
For the longest time, it seemed like whenever someone talked about fantasy, this book was in that conversation. I have, in fact, came close to reading it several times, but I always pass on it. Honestly, I'm not really sure why besides wanting to read something else more.

Seraphina #1
Rachel Hartman
I've wanted to read this book almost since it first came out but... Okay, I really have no excuse. It sounds like an amazing book and I have heard nothing but good things about it. So, why haven't I read it yet? (I guess, maybe it's been buried on my tbr list and - somewhat - just a little... forgotten.)

Seven Realms #1
Cinda Williams Chima
I keep hearing awesome things about this author and this book sounds good but something about this book just has kept me away. I want to read it. I do. And I probably will, eventually. I guess I'm just a bit worried about not liking it.

A Song of Fire and Ice #1
George R.R. Martin
You're going to have to bear with me on this one because when I first heard about the book, I thought it sounded awesome. Now though, in all honesty, the things I've heard about the book (death of major characters, rape, and the depressing tone I've heard the book has) I have been officially scared off. Probably for life. However, considering how popular this series is, I am surprised I never at least tried to read this book.


The First Law #1
Joe Abercrombie
To be fair, I'm really not a fan of 'dark' fantasy. I certainly prefer the more lighthearted aspect of fantasy, but this series has been talked about so much that I've actually thought about trying to read it several times. Then I remember that I probably won't like it and move on.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen #2
Steven Erikson
I've heard you can and should skip the first book in this series, so, yeah... Anyway, this book sounds great and I've almost bought it several times. But then I look at the size of it. This book is the second in a ten book series and, alone, it's over eight hundred pages long. At least all the books have been published, but I think I have a fear of that much commitment.

The Grisha #1
Leigh Bardugo
I want to read this book. I don't want to read this book. It sounds good. It sounds bad. That is just a sample of the incompatible feelings this book gives me. I really don't know what to think about it and I also don't know if I ever will read this book.

Twelve Houses #1
Sharon Shinn
Okay, it's not so much this book, but I want desperately to read something by this author. Her books sound great and this one sounds perfect for me. The reason I've not read it is the most pathetic excuse on this list. The cover. I'm sorry, but it's got to be one of the ugliest I've ever seen.

Gentleman Bastard #1
Scott Lynch
This book interests me, has interested me ever since I realized it was a fantasy book and not something related to Ernest Hemingway. (Don't ask.) However, there's always been something keeping me from reading it. Being honest, I think it's probably the curses that I hear are very abundant. Besides that, everything I've heard about this books makes me think I'd love it. (There's still a not-so-small part of me that still wants to read it.)

Mairelon #'s 1&2
Patricia C. Wrede
I'm not at all sure why I haven't read this book yet. In fact, at one point I thought I had already bought it only to realize later that I hadn't. This is probably only one of two books on this list that I know I'll be reading - and probably sooner rather than later.




Well, this list was a lot of fun to put together - but it has left me thinking that I need to expand my fantasy reading a little more. Maybe I'll try that this year. What do you think? Read some of these books and loved them and think I need to read them ASAP? Maybe you think I'm better off not reading some of them? Let me know and send me a link to you're list in the comments.