Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top 10 Books From My Childhood (Or Teen Years) That I Would Love To Revisit

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

Oh, I just knew this prompt would be right up my alley. There were so many books I read as a child that were so much fun and I'd love to re-read. I will admit, you'll probably be finding a lot of series' on here.


Top 10 Books From My Childhood (Or Teen Years) That I Would Love To Revisit

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
I'm pretty sure I read these stories before I even became a teen - if not, I was a young teen while finishing them up. I would love to go back and re-read the entirety of the Holmes canon. Lately I've been thinking about doing just that.

Eleanor Clymer
Oh, this book. I think there were two others in the series (I think) but this is the one that I remember the best. I always loved it and was so happy when my mom took me to the library and let this book be one of my books for the week. Now that I think about it, this was probably one of the very first books that instilled a love of books in me...

Gertrude Chandler Warner
You know how, sometimes, you really liked something but are afraid to re-read it because of age - your age, not it's? Yeah, that's this series - as well as the next several. I read as many of these books as I could get from the library.

Carolyn Keene

I used to have a pretty decent collection of this series - not all of it by any means - but I've no idea what happened to them.


Franklin W. Dixon
Okay, to be fair, I'm not exactly sure that I read this book specifically, but I read several from the series. (This book simply got up here by the default of being first in the series.)

Ann M. Martin
This series made me, in my pre-teen years, wish for a group of best friends and wish I could start a club and make money. I think I was a money-grubbing little thing...

Holly Beth Walker
You know, I almost completely forgot about this series - but it was so much fun. I loved the fact that the young girl detective had a Siamese cat sidekick.

Julie Campbell
Two very important things to say about this series. First: I inherited a bunch of these books off my sister. She loved them and I thought they were a lot of fun. Of course, my opinion cannot help but be colored by a second, very important, fact. This book series gave me what was probably my second ever literary crush. (No, not Jim - even though that's who it seems like everyone else had a crush on. My guy was Brian. And Cap - their...cousin?)

Brad Strickland & Thomas E. Fuller
I have almost the entire collection of the Wishbone Mysteries as well as a fair amount of the Adventures of and the Classics. Wishbone was one of the tv series that got me into reading and when I first saw the books at a bookstore, I could hardly believe it. I really should re-read these books. (Collect the ones I'm missing, too.)

Mary Stewart
Now we are into my teen years. My first ever introduction to what I call gothic mysteries. I am still trying to recapture that magic I felt when reading this book. Gothic mysteries are mostly hit or miss for me, and this one is still a shinning example of why I love the genre. Thinking about it, I should buy my own copy and re-read it. (I originally borrowed it from my mom.)





Man, I read some weird stuff when I was young. Anyone else ever feel that way? Anyhow, I gotta admit, I didn't really know what would wind up on this list til I started writing it. Have you read any of these? Leave me a link and I'll visit your list.