Thursday, September 17, 2015

Burn, Rewrite or Reread Tag

So, I don't know if this is the first time I saw it, but it wasn't until seeing this tag over at Lovely Literature that I decided to give it a go. It sounds like a lot of fun - and potentially nail-bitingly stressful depending on which books are paired up. You probably know the drill, but if not: select three random books you've read then decide which of the three you would re-read, which one you'd rewrite and which one you'd burn. (I'm obviously not going to be doing that, but let's pretend, shall we?)

Round One (aka: Easy Enough)

Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk - Burn - Ugh, this book is just - Well, it was okay, right up until the main woman/love interest was raped for no reason! There wasn't even a 'hero saves the day' with it. I think the only reason was so the 'hero' could have a reason to want the villain dead. Because, of course, the only function rape could serve in a fantasy story doesn't pertain to the victim. Cheap, sexist piece of trash!

Green Rider by Kristen Britain- Rewrite - I love the idea behind this series: a group of messengers and spies for the king. However, this book (actually, the first three books of the series because I stopped after that) just didn't quite work for me. There was too much longing romance and way too much time spent on just the main character. Alone. With her horse. I mean, with the idea, you've pretty much got a tailor made 'ragtag bunch of misfits'. Now use them!

Seeing a Large Cat by Elizabeth Peters - Reread - I've lost count of how many times I've already reread this book - and in fact, most of the series - but I still love it as much as the first time. It's about a family (that get's very large and extended over time) of egyptologists in the late eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds. Can't recommend this whole series strongly enough to fans of mysteries and fans of Egypt.


Round Two (aka: How can I? Don't make me.)

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - Burn - I actually have my reasons that have nothing to do with this book. This book, I loved. That is totally the past tense though, because the sequel was nothing compared to this book. I am attempting to convince myself to give this series one more shot, but for now... I distance myself from it and light the pyre.

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill - Rewrite - This book was actually pretty darn close to perfect. Besides my usual issue of first person pov, the only slight quibble I have was that ending. It was perfectly bittersweet, but I would have loved a little more...hope at the end. (Actually, I wanted romance at the end, but this short story set after the end helped me a little.)

The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan - Reread - This book is the first in what has become my favorite fantasy series - so of course I want to reread it. Actually, that is the truth. I think I need to reread the entire series, but I really want to refresh my memory of how everything started.

Round Three (aka: Everything Falls Into Place)

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle - Burn - It's really sad. I wanted to like this book and while I didn't hate it, I certainly didn't like it much. My problems all boil down to the main girl. She's mean to her siblings, self absorbed to a disturbing extent and is supposed to be solving the disappearance of a close friend, but can't be bothered to think about her between the dresses, balls and tea. I didn't hate the book, but that was no thanks so the main girl.

Wings of the Falcon Barbara Michaels - Rewrite - I think this book is as perfect as all the author's other books - and, in truth, this is one of my favorites. However, I would have liked it just a bit better if the 'twist' was one that I couldn't have seen coming from a mile off. And over a hill at that!

Cruel Beauty Rosamund Hodge - Reread - This is a book that I definitely do want to reread. It's also a book I love and can never quite speak coherently about why I do love it. The characters are amazing and complex, the world building is of the 'blink-and-you'll-miss-something-that-will-leave-you-confused-about-the-ending' variety and ... well, I just really need to reread it.

Round Four (aka: Wherein Things Sag)

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins - Burn - I've read a lot of books I've hated, but seldom have I ever read a book that was just simply annoying. This is one of those 'look at me, look at me, I'm funny' cases that left me not laughing. This is like the kid that you just know is trying too hard.

Death Sworn by Leah Cypess - Rewrite - Potential, but potential that was never realized. This was a book that kept me at arm's length throughout the story. It was like the main character was always edging away from me and telling me 'don't touch' and I'm over there saying 'I just want to get to know you' and she keeps edging away until finally I don't even care anymore.

Full Steam Ahead by Karen Witemeyer - Reread - While in any other round this would have been the rewrite option - for failing to deliver on promises (like the mysterious family history that ties to the pirate Lafitte and the whole plotline with the boilers that was never explored) - it was also my favorite out of these three books. And probably the one I'd be least likely to rip in little-itty-bitty pieces if I tried to reread.


So, there's my Burn, Rewrite or Reread tag. I hope you enjoyed and I know I picked some pretty popular books to Burn. (Don't hate me, please. It takes all kinds, right. Right?) If you're interested in doing this, I had a lot of fun and totally tag you!