Monday, October 26, 2015

Cress Talk (#TLCReadalong) (Spoilers!)

taking place here

Spoiler warning!
Welcome all to my third and final The Lunar Chronicles Talk before the release of Winter. As usual, spoilers abound! So, if you're wanting to read a totally spoiler free review, click here. My Scarlet Talk post is here. My original, spoiler free, review of Scarlet is here. My Cinder Talk post is here. And, finally, my original, spoiler free, review of Cinder is here. (Whew, glad to be done typing those out.)

Onward!



Okay, I have a comment that I have been sitting on since I reread Cinder.

Ahem.

So that's who Cress get's her height from.

I remembered that Dr. Erland was Cress's father, but I had totally forgot that he was constantly described as short. So, yup, I wanted to say that so badly back in Cinder's talk.


Really, I feel like I don't have much to say about this book. (Crazy, huh?)

It did finally answer the question that had been plaguing me from the beginning about the cyborgs. I guess I can see how people would be afraid of them, especially after that cyborg crime spree - and I do know people are usually afraid of what they don't understand. I guess I just expect more out of humans. *shrug* It's believable though, is what I'm trying to say.

And Dr. Erland's little cyborg draft... I understand his reasoning behind it, but I think it probably just cemented the fact that cyborgs are (supposedly) second-class citizens in the public's mind.

I think it's really interesting how the cyborgs are basically slaves - owned by people. Here in the US we had this bloody little war called the American Civil War when people that wanted to keep owning slaves and people that thought it was wrong to own another person fought. I'm definitely interested to see if that parallels the revolution that we know is coming - especially after Kai's halting of the cyborg draft - or if it's bloodless. (BTW, good on ya, Kai. Bout time someone took a stand against antiquated laws and ideals.)

Also, and I can't believe that I didn't think of this reading the book the first time, does this mean that Scarlet is going to be cyborg too? I mean, she's missing a finger now and I know that if I were her I'd get a robotic part. So, is she? (Personally, I think that would be totally awesome.)

I was thinking a little about genetics as I was reading this book and the only ones that aren't at least part Lunar are Thorne and Kai, right? (Seriously, I actually forgot one of them while I was typing up that paragraph.) Cinder is the Lunar princess, Scarlet's grandfather was Lunar which makes her one-quarter Lunar, Wolf is a Lunar enhanced super-soldier, (words I always love an excuse to say) Cress is a Lunar shell, Winter is a Lunar princess (though not by birth) and Jacin is a Lunar soldier. You know, when I first started this story, I never thought we'd have more Lunar main characters than Earthens.

I'm very interested in how the Lunar's bio-electricity will be handled. I definitely see the main characters discovering parts of Garan's research and the new Lunar queen (Cinder? Winter? Who do you think it's going to be?) making the 'chip' mandatory. I can see this causing a lot of problems though, so I don't know how that'll be handled.

Finally, I feel that I need to mention the romance between Cress and Thorne. Honestly, I like it quite a bit, but not as much as Scarlet and Wolf. I just don't. To me, Cress and Thorne's romance is more humorous (and I gotta admit, I think they each made at least one very questionable decision). I definitely look forward to them really figuring it out, because I think that'll be adorable. (And probably quite funny, too.)

Well, I guess I did have quite a bit to say - mostly about the cyborgs, because that's a huge plot point for me.



Needless to say, after all this, I am super excited for Winter's release next month. There's a lot of things I want to see resolved and I am so happy to hear the book is even longer than Cress. I just have to decide though...Do I want to pre-order it, or hope that Walmart has it in stock? What are you guys going to do? Pre-order or buy local or wait?