Wednesday, December 30, 2015

December Wrap-Up


Goodbye 2015! (I hardly knew you.) *coughcough* Moving on.

I can't believe this is already my last wrap up for the year. And, in fact, my second to last post of the year. This is just crazy! Where has my year gone?

Let's see, I had my yearly eye doctor appointment this month. My doctor is great - although this year he was trying to get me to go to his church and hinting that it's totally normal to be uncomfortable in church. *blinks* Anyway, I hate having to go. All those bright lights shining in my eyes and then it feels like sand has been dumped into my eyes for half the day. My vision's all wonky for a good couple of hours and when I try reading the words blur. The good news is my prescription hasn't changed for years, so I've not been having to buy new glasses!

A couple of Tuesdays this month I was all excited to make my rounds of the TTT meme - but my internet was working even worse that usual so I didn't get to. In fact, my internet has been working very poorly all month. The only good thing that ever comes from this is that means I'm more likely to read. (Yay!)

You know, there is something to recommend DNFing books. You see, this month I've been kind of hair trigger when it comes to sitting down with a book. If I'm not feeling it, I've been able to stop reading with only a little guilt. However, of the books I've finished, this had probably been my best reading month ever. Not only have I got a lot read, but the quality of the books has been amazing! I've also made a little 'rule' to follow. I will try my best to read until page 50, even if I'm thinking about dnfing a book right away. This will give me a chance to see if I can settle into the book and, hopefully, I won't be dnfing quite so many. (Hopefully I got all the crummy books cleared out!)


What I've been reading...



Pandora Hearts Vol 2 by Jun Mochizuki - ****
Pandora Hearts Vol 3 by Jun Mochizuki - ****
Tris's Book by Tamora Pierce - ****



Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase - ***
Daja's Book by Tamora Pierce - ****
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner - ** - Review



V is for Villain by Peter Moore - **** - Review 1/6th
Briar's Book by Tamora Pierce - ****
The Feros by Wesley King - ****



Literally Murder by Ali Brandon - ****
Ticker by Lisa Mantchev - ****
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan - ***** - Review 1/13th



The Stone Kingdom by Danielle E. Shipley - *****
The Explorers Club by Nell Benjamin - ****



Arisa vol. 7 by Natsumi Ando - *****
Arisa vol. 8 by Natsumi Ando - *****
Earth Girl by Janet Edwards - ***** - Review 1/20th



The Impossible Race by Chad Morris - *****
The Gate of Gods by Martha Wells - ****
Claimed by Lindsay Buroker - *****


Manners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger - *****
Crossing the Ice by Jennifer Comeaux - **



Buying ban information to date...
I can buy/get free 1 book for every 5 I read.
Series continuations are free.

Physical books read: 23
E-books read: 11

Physical books bought: 0
E-books bought: 1


What I've been watching...

I have been watching so much TV this month. It's like in the winter, all I do is watch TV and read. I'd say this is because it's so cold, but the truth is that this year we've been pretty warm for December.

I finished Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I didn't hate the show, but I didn't really like it, either. And, in fact, if it hadn't been a borrow from my brother, I never would have watched it.

Finished rewatching the 1950's Sherlock Holmes adaptation with Ronald Howard. This is one of my two favorite Holmes adaptations ever. I love how it's based more on the characters early in the cannon, before Doyle got unhappy with his creations and the fact that that was all anyone wanted to read of his.

I finally finished BlazBlue: Alter Memory. The only good thing I can say about it is that it's over. After that, I seriously have no interest in playing the games.

I've rewatched season 2 of Numb3rs and had so much fun with it. Barely restrained myself from rewatching season 3 right away.

Finally finished rewatching seaQuest DSV. For those of you that know the show, yes, I mean both seasons that were released to DVD. (Except the final episode of season two. I just didn't have the heart to watch that huge cliffhanger again.) I didn't really plan to watch both of them, but it was so much fun. I love this show!

Finished watching season one of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. In truth, I guess I could say I rewatched it, because I watched this all those years ago when it was on TV. It's really interesting to see how my opinions of people have changed. Or haven't as the case is with all except one of the Rangers - who I liked but now hate.


I hope everyone had a happy holiday season and will have a safe and happy new year!