Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Review: Timebound by Rysa Walker

Timebound by Rysa Walker
Series: The Chronos Files #1
Genre: Contemporary/Sci-fi/Time Travel
Add on Goodreads

When Kate Pierce-Keller’s grandmother gives her a strange blue medallion and speaks of time travel, sixteen-year-old Kate assumes the old woman is delusional. But it all becomes horrifyingly real when a murder in the past destroys the foundation of Kate’s present-day life. Suddenly, that medallion is the only thing protecting Kate from blinking out of existence.

Kate learns that the 1893 killing is part of something much more sinister, and Kate’s genetic ability to time-travel makes her the only one who can stop him. Risking everything, she travels to the Chicago World’s Fair to try to prevent the killing and the chain of events that follows.

Changing the timeline comes with a personal cost, however—if Kate succeeds, the boy she loves will have no memory of her existence. And regardless of her motives, does she have the right to manipulate the fate of the entire world?

"Like most people, I'm used to moving through time in a single direction - forward."

Okay, so I'll admit it: I love time travel plotlines. With this little sub-genre at work, I'm predisposed to like the book. I love all the conundrums and tense problems that come up and the discussions of alternate timelines and what, exactly, that means.

Well, this one kicks off in superb fashion with Kate stuck in 1800's Chicago and bemoaning the fact that the clothing of the era makes escape much more difficult than converse and shorts would.

"I've kind of gotten used to things not making sense. I've decided the only way to stay sane is to just roll with the punches."

Kate's a lot of fun. She handles herself well, she's pretty mature, but that doesn't mean she doesn't act like a teenager sometimes. And I love the fact that her and her best friend take karate classes together.

Kate easily carries the book for me, which is great, because this is definitely one of those books that if you don't like the main character, you probably won't like the story.

The rest of the characters are really great too, though. I love how Kate has a healthy, normal relationship with her divorced parents - and she even splits her time between them. Her grandmother is…hard to pin down at first, but very interesting. I already mentioned the best friend - who seriously needed to be in here more!

There is also an overly complicated borderline-insta-love-triangle going on here. Adding alternate versions of these characters, as that's what happens when the timeline shifts, and the fact that some of them can remember the past that didn't actually happen, makes it really complicated as to feeling and emotion.

He reminded me of a big friendly puppy and I wasn't sure how I was going to shake him.

The good news is that I like both the guys enough that I didn't get particularly frustrated with the romance. (However, there was a point towards the middle of the book that seemed to want to focus solely on the romance that was drag-y to me.) The guys themselves are very different, though they are both nice guys with no of that 'he's such a bad boy' that seems to always crop up.

I'm not being melodramatic here. Having your existence completely erased has to qualify as a life-changing event, by anyone's definition.

As I said before, I love the way the plot was handled, though it seemed occasionally that it took longer to get from one point to another than was strictly necessary. The time travel didn't seem particularly confusing, but it was just complicated that it took a little thought to follow the reasoning.

In truth, I could totally understand why some of the characters claimed it was giving them a headache, because I can just imagine how complicated it would be for someone that it was actually happening to.

Also, the research the author put into the historical aspect was wonderful and - though I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this part of history - I didn't spot any inconsistencies that couldn't be explained by time travel.