Monday, January 18, 2016

Unpopular Opinions Tag

Found this tag over at So Long And Thanks For All The Fish and thought that it looked like a lot of fun and couldn't pass it up. Besides, I've got a lot of unpopular opinions that I love talking about.


1. A popular book or series that you didn't like...
How much time do you have? It's kind of a thing for me that I dislike the uber popular things. I don't mean to, but that's usually how it works out.


The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Sorry to all my blogging friends that love this book, I just couldn't. The story was way too haphazard for me and I didn't care about any of the characters enough to keep reading the series.


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
All I really remember about this book was how 'funny' it tried to be and how I was left with a headache from how truly annoying it was.


2. A book or series that everyone else hated but you loved...
*coughcough* Yeah, like this never happens to me.



A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas
This was one of my favorite reads of last year, but if you check out the Goodreads rating, it averages less than 3.5 stars.

3. A love triangle where the protagonist ended up with the person you didn't want them to be with...
I'm trying to think of any love triangle that actually ended how I wanted it to and I'm coming up with nothing. As for ending how I didn't want it too...



Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
(Mal/Alina/Darkling)
I've not actually finished this series - and I probably won't simply because I spoiled myself and found out that Alina, who I thought was a totally awesome leading lady, wound up with a guy that I think is a worthless slug. (Yes, while reading the book, that's what I called him.) I won't put myself through seeing such a great female actually being with that thing.



The Dispossessed Trilogy by Page Morgan
(Luc/Ingrid/Vander)
Ignoring the complete bastardization of one of the members of this love triangle in the third book, Ingrid chose the guy that I absolutely hated from pretty much the first meeting. (Of course, it also wasn't a surprise because he's both the type of guy I hate and the type of guy the girls in books always swoon over. Blech.)


4. A popular genre you hardly read...
Contemporary. I'm just not a huge fan of the whole 'this could be happening right now.' I'd much rather read about dragons and spaceships. (Maybe not in the same book, though that could be awesome.) That's the same reason I like the type of shows and movies that I do.

Urban Fantasy. I've discovered that this is more about the 'voice' of the genre than anything else. Because as a whole, I love the idea - well, the idea without the vampire sex - but the way the main character is always written just isn't for me. (As I discovered when I started a sci-fi book that was written like a UF and promptly stopped. I will give it another shot, but, really, that style isn't for me.)

Dystopian. This I cannot explain at all. I love the idea behind it, but I have tried three dystopian novels, and have not felt any and have little to no interest trying again. (I always thought that it was because these books are more 'down' than what I usually read - but I just read a book that was kind of depressing, and I actually liked it. So that's not it.)

Horror. In my experience, horror as a genre is all 'everyone always dies' and I just can't get an emotional connection if I'm expecting them to get killed off. And if I can't get an emotional connection, I don't care. (Interesting to note that the books I've read where I do wish that everyone would die, no one ever does.)

*coughcough* So, by now are you asking what I actually do read? ;)


5. A popular/beloved character you dislike...
Harry Potter? Seriously, I have been thinking about this question since I first decided I wanted to do this tag and I have come to a very important realization: I don't know what characters are popular or beloved. Except for Harry (Potter, not Dresden, but I hate him to, you know). And, believe me, I do hate him and the way the world (the fictional world, that is) thinks he's just the greatest thing ever. (I really don't care what the real world thinks of him, but I'm pretty sure he is loved.) Except for the villains, but they don't count anyway because, hello, villains! (Every one that hates Harry is evil. Does that mean I'm evil?)


6. A popular author you can't seem to get into...
Okay, for this I'm going to be good and only talk about those authors that I've actually tried to read more than one book of. And that brings the count to one.

Brandon Sanderson. I know, I know, what's wrong with me? Honestly, I don't know. I've read four of his books and there was only one that I actually liked much. It was The Rithmatist and, really, by the time the sequel finally comes out, maybe in 2017, (and the first book was published in 2013) I highly doubt I'll even care anymore.


7. A popular trope you're tired of reading...
The Chosen One - Seriously, it wasn't good on Buffy and it wasn't good in Harry Potter. Give me someone that's the hero because of the choices they make, because they want to be, because they struggle for it or, hell, because they suck at being the villain. Don't give me a hero because 'the prophecy says so.'

Asshole Hero Love Interests - Please take your abusive creeps that need a restraining order slapped on them and shove them somewhere besides the 'controlling, possessive means he loves you' and this is a 'good, healthy love' that you totally 'shouldn't have him arrested for.'

Love Triangles + - But only if polyamory isn't a thing. I totally wouldn't mind reading that - but is it really too much to ask for for a book with no romance, much less a love triangle.


8. A popular series you have no intention of reading...



Twilight by Stephenie Meyers
This series has never interested me - mostly because dark, brooding vampire automatically means I go running for cover. Don't like them and never see that changing.


9. A book or series that you wanted to hate but loved...



The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Okay, so I didn't love the book, but I liked it so much more than I was expecting to. I thought it would be one of those books that I barely was able to finish and then wrote a scathing review on - because I wanted to say I hated it. Much to my surprise, it actually turned out to be kind of fun.


10. A show/movie adaptation you liked better than the book...
Will you hate me if I say this is what usually happens?

The Dresden Files
To say I hated the books is an understatement - but really, I mostly hated misogynistic Harry Dresden. And I've been unable to rewatch the show since I read the first three books. 

Eragon + The Fellowship of the Ring
I didn't actually hate either of the books, (they were just sooo boring for me) but I enjoyed the movies so much more. Mostly because there was none of that dense prose that I dislike so much in fantasy.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
The book left me with way too much time to think about how Harry's Gary Stu was showing. Besides, in the movie, the dragons were cool.


And, there we have my unpopular opinions! Agree? Disagree? (A dozen times more likely, I'm sure.) Think I'm full of it and talking out of my hat? Well, then I tag you! (Actually, I tag you no matter what, so have fun with it. I sure did!)