Thursday, February 11, 2016

Top 5 Friends Forever

This post has been on my mind for a couple of months. Last valentine's day, I went the typical route and talked about favorite couples. But, honestly, I'm not a fan of valentine's day and ... well, I felt like I should celebrate it a bit differently.

I am happily single - and I get really tired of being asked by acquaintances if I've 'fallen in love yet' like it's some be all end all. And then one woman made it worse by adding 'or are you still looking for the right man?' No, I'm not looking because I'm HAPPY. Blerg. (And it's just gotten worse since my sister married.)

This post is going to be about something that means much more to me than romance: friendship! Give me a well written friendship and I'll take it over romance any day. So, here's my top five favorite BFF's.



Royce & Hadrian from The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan


"What’s going on?' Royce asked as throngs of people suddenly moved toward him from the field and the castle interior.
"I mentioned that you saw the thing and now they want to know what it looks like," Hadrian explained. 'What did you think? They were coming to lynch you?"
He shrugged. 'What can I say? I’m a glass-half-empty kinda guy."
'Half empty?" Hadrian chuckled. 'Was there ever any drink in that glass?"

Kaoru & Zuzana from Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor


"So violent. You want to mug and tase everybody these days."
"I do," Zuzana agreed. "I swear I hate more people every day. Everyone annoys me. If I'm like this now, what am I going to be like when I'm old?"
"You'll be the mean old biddy who fires a BB gun at kids from her balcony."
"Nah. BBs just rile 'em up. More like a crossbow. Or a bazooka."

Jem & Will from The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare


Will rolled up his sleeves. "We'll probably have to knock down the door--"
"Or," said Jem, reaching out and giving the knob a twist, "not."
The door swung open onto a rectangle of darkness.
"Now, that's simply laziness," said Will.

Sandry & Daja & Briar & Tris from The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce

Sadly, I'm unable to find a quote with all four talking that both truly captures their personalities and indicates why I love them so much. (And, also, that doesn't give away spoilers.) Suffice to say, I adore their friendship and the fact that all four are very different people and come from very different worlds.

Cora & Nellie & Michiko from The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress
No quotes here, either, but much like the last one, I adore the friendship forged between three very different girls. They all complement each other perfectly I love it.

So, there we have five of my favorite friendships ever. Interesting to note, it was difficult to actually find friendships where there's no romantic feelings at all between them. One of my original choices got tossed aside because there's romantic feelings to be found. At least one-sided. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think and let me know what you're doing for valentine's day! (Not my glitter swirl, but I forget where I found it. Sorry!)