Wednesday, November 23, 2016

T5W - Books I'd Like To Reread

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on goodreads that you can find here. Every week - or less for some of us ;) - the members get together and post five books that pertain to a specific topic.

As much as I love rereading, I kind of don't do it anymore. I think I've fallen into that pit of 'next new thing' even if it's already 10+ years old. At least it's new to me. In the past three years, I've reread two books. Maybe this should be one of my challenges next year, to reread more books...

V is for Villain by Peter Moore
Brad Baron is used to looking lame compared to his older brother, Blake. Though Brad's basically a genius, Blake is a superhero in the elite Justice Force. And Brad doesn't measure up at his high school, either, where powers like super-strength and flying are the norm. So when Brad makes friends who are more into political action than weight lifting, he's happy to join a new crew-especially since it means spending more time with Layla, a girl who may or may not have a totally illegal, totally secret super-power. And with her help, Brad begins to hone a dangerous new power of his own.

But when they're pulled into a web of nefarious criminals, high-stakes battles, and startling family secrets, Brad must choose which side he's on. And once he does, there's no turning back.


Perfect for fans of The Avengers, Ironman, and classic comic books, V is for Villain reveals that it's good to be bad.

Notes: It seems like I'm in a perpetual state of wanting to read more superhero books. Besides that, I remember I liked this book a lot, but I remember nothing about it and my Goodreads review (saying only, 'sequel?') is distinctly unhelpful.

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
THEY KILLED THE KING. THEY PINNED IT ON TWO MEN. THEY CHOSE POORLY.


There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are two enterprising rogues who end up running for their lives when they're framed for the murder of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late.

Notes: Okay, I already know I love this series - no question about it in my mind. But I want to reread it. I mean, I've finished it and I still want to read more. So, yeah, next year I should definitely reread this series.

The Legion of Space by Jack Williamson
Space Legionnaires
They were the greatest trio of swashbuckling adventurers ever to shop out to the stars! There was giant Hal Samdu, rocklike Jay Kalam and the incomparable shrewd and knavish Giles Habibula.


Here is there first thrilling adventure - the peril-packed attempt to rescue the most important person in the galaxy, keeper of the vital secret essential to humanity's survival in the deadly struggle against the incredibly evil Medusae...

Notes: I've actually been getting a bit of a hunger for campy, pulpy sci-fi and I remember really enjoying this book the first time around.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle—a shifting maze of magical rooms—enthralls her.


As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

Notes: I loved this book at the time, thought it was beautiful and perfect and all that jazz. But, considering I've tried twice with Hodge since then, been disappointed both times and her new book sounds so far from what I want to read, I can't help but wonder if it was a fluke or if I missed something the first time around.

Soulless by Gail Carriger
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. 

First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire--and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.


With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

Notes: I am a well confirmed fan of this author and, honestly, I think the only reason I haven't reread this book yet is because she keeps publishing stuff - actually, pretty quickly.


How about you? Do you manage to reread books? (If so, how do you convince yourself to read them instead of the ever growing TBR?) Or do you never reread?