Wednesday, December 14, 2016

T5W Stories That Just Get Worse With Each Instalment

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on goodreads that you can find here. Every week - or less for some of us ;) - the members get together and post five books that pertain to a specific topic.

Oh, boy, I love this topic this month so much. For me, shows and books that start out well and go progressively downhill earn a special ire all their own. They're even worse than the stories that start out bad because at least those don't get your hopes up. So, five shows and book series that went downhill for me.


The Dusk Gate Chronicles series
by Breeana Puttroff
# of books read: 4/7

The first book was cute and sweet and fluffy. The second book was a little annoying. The third was starting to wear thin. The fourth was absolute rubbish and lost me when they started vilifying the mother who didn't want her barely 17 year-old daughter to marry a boy she's known less than a year. And when the daughter is having sex with the boy but blushes when he notes that they've not really been doing anything to keep from having kid.



Throne of Glass series
by Sarah J. Maas
# of books read: 2/6

I loved the first book so, so much that I was perfectly happy calling Maas one of my favorite authors. I hated the second book with a passion. I researched the subsequent books enough to know that fiery hatred would be nothing compared to what I'd think about books 3+. (Or the author's other series.)





Castle
# of seasons watched: 7/8
I can't even tell you how much I loved this show in the first season. It was so, so wonderful. Then season two started to get a little soapy with the will-they/won't-they angst stuff. Season three got even worse, but the end of season four showed me a light at the end of the tunnel. After a mostly nice season five and a moderately enjoyable season six, I realized at the light at the end of the tunnel was a train. If I thought any previous season was bad, season seven fully embraced the soapy-ness with postponed weddings, missing persons and amnesia. It's not wonder I said no chance about watching season eight. (Which is a shame, because Stana Katic is one of the most amazing actresses, ever.)


Galahad series
by Dom Testa
# of books read: 5/6

This is the only series on this list that I actually will finish. This series isn't bad by any stretch, but with each instalment, we get further and further away from the awesomeness that the first book was. Because it's just sad when the first book in a series is the best book in a series.





Green Rider series

by Kristen Britain
# of books read: 3/6I didn't love this series at the start, but it was a nice, functional fantasy series for the first two books. Then the third hit and the they-love-each-other-but-they-can't-be-together romance started in earnest and, boom, I didn't care anymore. I've done enough reading about the next books in the series to know that the third person in this love triangle is vilified for something she had no control over and I can't imagine how bad it would have been if she actually loved the guy.


This actually wasn't as easy of a list as I thought it would be because series usually stay consistent for me. (Good or bad.) Anyway, I'd love to hear your experiences with any of these stories. What books/shows got worse for you over time?