Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Top Ten Books That Have Made Me Laugh Out Loud

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

I love and hate freebie weeks in equal measure. I love getting to chose what topic I do - but at the same time, I always have such a terrible time picking one out that's perfect. This week, I finally threw in the towel and grabbed a topic that had been suggested a couple years ago by Anne at Lovely Literature.

Advice: Don't go reading these books in public!




The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
Even though it's been over three years since I read these books (longer, with the first two) the one thing that sticks in my mind is how absolutely hilarious they are. For me the sense of humor in these books is absolutely perfect.



The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan
I love snarking and banter between friends, and the back and forth between Hadrian and Royce is spectacular. I've just started rereading this series as I write this and it's just as good as I remember.



Amelia Peabody Mysteries by Elizabeth Peters
While I'd willingly list the whole series here, I think The Mummy Case and The Hippopotamus Pool were probably the ones I found the funniest. Mostly because Ramses is in fine form and at his most...difficult. Also, the series does tend to get a bit more serious as it continues.



Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
Pretty much any Discworld book is ripe with at least a few laughs, though my favorites so far have been the tales about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms) and the very ireverent take on Christmas with DEATH himself taking on the role of the jolly fat man (Hogfather). Especially recommend for those that like deconstructed fantasy.



The Emperor's Edge series by Lindsay Buroker
What do you get when you take a band of very dissimilar people and throw them all together? Good humor, is what. Mostly, I believe, thanks to Maldynado, a rather dandy of a man with a love of absurd hats and the desire to have a statue of himself.



Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger
(Or, really, anything by her.) If you've read these books, it should come as no surprise that when I said 'absurd hats' my mind immediately went to Ivy. While these books weren't a laugh-a-minute, there was enough crazy stuff going on that made me laugh. Like the main character being attacked by mechanical ladybugs.



Power Play by Avon Gail
Which each of the books in this series (Scoring Chances) has funny moments, this book is without a doubt the most hilarious. The things that the guys say as well as what happens to them is great, but a good deal of humor comes from the foul-mouthed goalie and the smarmy manager.



Pembroke Park by Michelle Martin
As of writing this, I've started the book and will doubtlessly have it finished by the time this post goes live. The humor from here comes from the absolutely delightful rapid-fire wit and flat-out awesome conversations. And, I will admit, the author's writing style is just the sort that lends itself to laughter anyway.


So depending on how you look at it, my list is either less than ten or quite a bit more than ten. But, as they say, it's not quantity, it's quality and these books definitely have the quality.

What books make you laugh out loud? Have you read any of these?